Mildew vs Mold: What's The Difference?
Updated: May 24
Mildew and mold are both types of surface fungus, but there are some key differences between the two. Powdery mildew is typically a white or greenish that forms on damp surfaces, while mold is a black or greenish growth that can form on many different surfaces. Downy mildew usually starts out as yellow but can turn brownish-yellow over time. Mold can cause severe health problems in people who breathe it in, while mildew is not known to cause any health concerns. In this blog post, we will discuss the differences between mildew and mold in more detail!
Can Both Mold & Mildew Grow Together?
Yes, it's very common for both mildew and mold to grow together. Mold usually grows first, and then mildew will develop later in moist environments. Both mildew and mold need moisture to grow, so they are often found in damp places like basements, bathrooms, or kitchens.
What Causes Mold & Mildew?
Mold and mildew can be caused by different things. Mold is usually caused by a leaky pipe or other water damage, while mildew is usually caused by high humidity or condensation.
How Can I Prevent Mold & Mildew?
To prevent mold and mildew, you should try to keep your home clean and dry. Repair any leaks ASAP, and make sure to ventilate damp areas like the bathroom or laundry room. You can also use a dehumidifier to help control the moisture in your home.
What Should I Do If I See Mold or Mildew?
If you see mold or mildew in your home, you should clean it up immediately. You can use a commercial mildew cleaner, or make your own by mixing 1 part bleach with 10 parts water. Once you've cleaned up the mold or mildew, be sure to fix the moisture problem that caused it in the first place. If you're not sure if you can do this yourself, hire a professional mold remediation company to help you.
How Do I Know If It's Mold or Mildew?
If you're not sure if what you're seeing is mold or mildew, there are a few simple ways to tell the difference. First, mildew is usually white or greenish in color, while mold is usually black or greenish.
This is what mold looks like:
This is what mildew looks like:
Second, mildew tends to be powdery, while mold is usually fuzzy or slimy.
Finally, mildew usually only grows on damp surfaces, while mold can grow on many different surfaces.
Mold vs Mildew: Key Differences
Mold can cause health problems in people who breathe it in, mildew is not known to cause any health problems.
Mildew needs moisture to grow, so it is often found in damp places like basements, bathrooms, or kitchens.
To prevent mildew, you should keep your home clean and dry. You can also use a dehumidifier to help control the moisture in your home.
If you see mildew in your home, you should clean it up immediately
Is Mildew Better Than Mold?
Mildew is easier to clean than mold, and it's not as invasive or dangerous as mold. Mildew is also less likely to cause health problems than mold. So, if you're dealing with mildew in your home, you should definitely clean it up right away! It should not be ignored. If mildew is visible, it means that there is already a serious issue of moisture in your home.
How Do I Get Rid Of Mildew?
Mildew is a type of fungus that can grow both indoors and outdoors. Aspergillus is the most common type of mold found indoors. It's most commonly found on surfaces that are moist and humid, such as shower walls, tile grout, basements, and crawlspaces. Mildew can also grow on fabrics and carpets. Although mildew isn't dangerous to your health, it can cause damage to the surfaces it grows on and can be difficult to get rid of.
If you have mildew in your home, there are a few things you can do to get rid of it:
Clean mold with a mild detergent or soap. Be sure to rinse well afterward.
Apply a diluted vinegar solution to the affected area and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Rinse well afterward.
Use a commercial mold/mildew cleaner or spray. Follow the instructions carefully.
Make your own mold/mildew cleaner by mixing 1 part bleach with 3 parts water. Spray this solution onto the affected area and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before rinsing well.
Be sure to take precautions when cleaning with bleach, such as wearing rubber gloves and making sure the area is well-ventilated.
What is the Process of Mold Removal?
A common question we get at Restoration Done is “What is the process of mold removal?” The answer may surprise you that there is no such thing as “mold removal.” While there are products on the market that will kill mold and mildew, they don’t actually remove mold spores from your home. The best you can hope for is to control mold growth.
The first step in controlling mold growth is to identify the source of moisture. If you have a leaky pipe, wet crawl spaces, or roof, that needs to be fixed before you can expect to get rid of mold for good. Once the source of moisture has been remedied, you can start cleaning up existing mold growth.
Removing mold starts with a thorough cleaning. You’ll need to scrub moldy surfaces with detergent and water to remove the visible growth. Be sure to wear protective gear such as gloves, a mask, and eye protection while you clean to avoid coming into contact with mold spores.
After you’ve scrubbed away the visible mold, you’ll need to disinfect the area. A 1:1 ratio of bleach and water is usually effective at killing mold spores. If you’re concerned about using bleach in your home, there are other options available, such as vinegar, baking soda or hydrogen peroxide while using hot water.
Once you’ve cleaned and disinfected the moldy surfaces, it’s important to dry the area completely. The mold removal process is not complete until you’ve taken steps to prevent mold growth in the future. This means addressing the source of moisture and making sure the area is well-ventilated. If you live in a humid climate, you may also need to use a dehumidifier to help keep the air dry.
By following these simple steps, you can control mold growth in your home and keep your family safe from its harmful effects.
Are Mildew Spores Bad For Your Health?
Wondering if mildew spores are bad for your health? The answer is yes and no. In small quantities, mildew spores are not harmful to humans or animals. However, mold and mildew can cause allergic reactions in some people. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include sneezing, coughing, watery eyes, and difficulty breathing. If you have a mold allergy, it’s important to take steps to avoid exposure to mold and mildew spores.
If you have mold or mildew in your home, the best thing you can do is clean it up as soon as possible. This will help reduce the number of spores in the air and will also help prevent the growth of new mold and mildew.
What are Mold Spores?
Mold spores are tiny, airborne particles that are produced by mold. Mold spores can be found indoors and outdoors. When mold spores land on a surface that is damp, they will start to grow.
Mold growth can cause health problems for people who are allergic to mold or who have respiratory conditions such as asthma attacks. Mold can also cause damage to the surfaces it grows on.
If you think you might have mold in your home, it’s important to take steps to control its growth. The first step is to identify the source of moisture. If you have a leaky pipe or roof, that needs to be fixed before you can expect to get rid of mold for good. Once the source of moisture has been remedied, you can start cleaning up existing mold growth.
Bleach can be used to kill mold on non-porous surfaces. Porous surfaces, such as drywall and carpet, will need to be replaced if they are heavily contaminated with mold.
If you have a mold problem in your home, it’s important to take action right away. Mold growth can cause serious health problems and damage to your property. With some quick work, however, you can get rid of mold and keep it from coming back.
What is Black Mold?
Black mold is toxic mold. It gets its name from the black color of the mold spores. Toxic black mold is not always black, however. It can also be green, brown, or white.
Black mold is dangerous because it can produce toxins that can make people sick. Symptoms of black mold exposure include coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, runny nose, and difficulty breathing. Black mold exposure can also cause headaches, fatigue, and nausea. If you think you have been exposed to black mold, it’s important to see a doctor right away.
If you have black mold in your home, it’s important to take steps to remove it and prevent it from coming back. The first step is to identify and fix the source of moisture. Once the mold has been removed, you should take steps to prevent it from coming back. This might include using a dehumidifier to keep the air dry, or using mold-resistant paint on walls and ceilings.
Black mold can be dangerous, so it’s important to take steps to remove it and prevent it from coming back. With some quick work, you can get rid of black mold and keep your family safe. If you need help removing black mold, contact us at Restoration Done for a free estimate.
Conclusion: Mildew vs Mold. What's the Difference?
Mold and mildew are both types of microscopic fungi that can grow in your home. Mold is a type of fungus that grows in moist, wet environments. Mildew, on the other hand, is a type of fungus that prefers dryer environments.
Both mold and mildew can cause health risks for people with allergies or respiratory conditions. Additionally, both mold and mildew can damage the surfaces they grow on.
No matter how much mold affects your property, our technicians at Restoration Done are ready to help. Visit our office in Spokane, WA or call (509) 272-9030 to get connected.